- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1/2 red bell pepper julienned
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper julienned
- 1 (4 oz can) diced green chilies
- 4 4 oz chicken breasts
- 1/4 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Monterrey Jack cheese (2 T per chicken breast)
Optional: (these ingredients are not included in nutritional calculations
- light sour cream
- fresh cilantro chopped
- lime wedges
- Preheat the oven to 400° F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat, and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil, garlic, bell peppers, and onions, cooking until they are very soft, 8-10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the green chilies with their juice, and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Then remove the skillet from the heat.
- While the skillet is cooling, prepare the chicken to be stuffed. Make 4-6 diagonal slits in each chicken breast, being careful to not slice all the way through.
- Salt and pepper both sides of the chicken and fill each slit evenly with the vegetable mixture.
- Season the tops of the stuffed chicken with cumin and chili powder, and top each chicken breast with 2 tablespoons of cheese.
- Bake until done, 20-22 minutes.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes, then garnish each chicken breast with optional sour cream and cilantro as desired, and serve with a lime wedge to squeeze over the chicken.