Philly Cheese Steak Zucchini
- 4 medium wide zucchini approx. 2.5 lbs
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion sliced into short pieces
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 small button mushrooms sliced
- 1 large red or green bell pepper chopped into short slices
- 3/4 lbs deli roast beef this slices, chopped into small pieces
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsp water or beef broth
- 1 1/4 cups shredded provolone cheese
- chopped fresh parsley, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Using a spoon, scoop centers from zucchini to create boats while leaving a 1/4-inch rim (reserve centers for another use)
- Brush both sides of zucchini with 1 Tbsp of the olive oil and season lightly with salt.
- Place in two baking pans (I used a 13 by 9 and 8 by 8).
- Bake in preheated oven 20 -25 minutes until nearly tender.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté 5 minutes, then add another1/2 Tbsp olive oil and mushrooms and sauté 5 minutes longer.
- Push veggies to one side of pan then add remaining 1/2 Tbsp olive oil to opposite side, add bell pepper and garlic and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add in roast beef, season with salt and pepper to taste then stir in water and cook until warmed, about 30 seconds.
- Fill roasted zucchini with roast beef mixture. Sprinkle top evenly with cheese. Return to oven and bake about 5 minutes longer, or until cheese has melted.
- Serve warm garnished with parsley.(fyi these are easier to just pick up and eat by hand like a sandwich).
Calories: 238kcal | Carbohydrates: 8.9g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 13.8g | Fiber: 2.6g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!